Rosemary Chicken Skewers with Berry Sauce Recipe
For the chicken:
- 4-6 boneless chicken thighs or breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds), skin on or off
- 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup of dry white wine or vermouth
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
For the sauce:
- 1 3/4 cup of fresh or frozen blackberries or boysenberries
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of red currant jelly (or berry jam or jelly)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1 Cut the chicken into 1 1/2 inch pieces and place in a bowl. Mix with the wine, oil, rosemary, and pepper. Cover and set aside to marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
2 Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade, reserving the marinade. Thread the chicken onto skewers and season generously with salt.
3a Grilling Preheat the grill for direct high heat. Brush the grill grates with olive oil. Place chicken skewers on grill and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place on a platter and cover with foil to allow the chicken to rest.
3b Broiling Preheat the broiler. Place skewers on an oiled broiling pan, 5 to 6 inches away from the burner. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Place on a platter and cover with foil to allow the chicken to rest.
4To make the sauce, place the marinade and the berries in a sauce pan and simmer gently until the berries are soft. Press through a strainer and discard the pulp.
5 Return the juice and marinade mixture to the pan. Add the vinegar, jelly, and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered until it has reduced by about 1/3 to a light syrup-like consistency.
Plate the skewers and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Serve immediately.